Take a moment to think about the various technological and infrastructural facilities you have today – from your smartphones and iPads to your virtual assistant reminding you of your daily tasks. Now, time-travel to a decade ago – a world in which phones were much less smart and Siri and Cortana were not even born yet. Are you thanking technology yet?
While thanking technology, it is also imperative to take a moment and remember the masterminds behind this advancement. And while we are time-traveling, how about leaping a little ahead and preparing for an even more advanced and efficient future? Yes, we are talking about our little masterminds who clasp a bright future in their tiny fists!
Today, schools are helping students look beyond their textbooks and apply their theoretical knowledge in the tangible world around them. Recognizing brilliant minds and providing them with a platform to showcase their skills ushers the world towards a promising tomorrow. The Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship by Global Indian International School is one such lucrative initiative.
What is the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarship All About?
- The Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarship is offered to exceptionally tech-savvy students who are naturally inclined towards the allied fields of science and technology.
- GIIS identifies such deserving students and provides them with state-of-the-art infrastructure and resources to help them blossom.
- It also offers lucrative tuition fee discounts to such students, making education accessible to talented students from all economic spectrums.
Categories Included in the APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarship
This scholarship is broadly classified into four categories:
- Category A includes students who have stood among the top ten students at the STEM, SOF or Robotics Olympiads. Alternatively, they should be the first, second or third prize winners at the National Children’s Science Congress. Such students receive 19% off on their tuition fees.
- Category B entails the top 20 national rank-holders at the SOF, STEM or Robotics Olympiads. Or, they should have secured the first, second or third prize at the annual competition of the National Children’s Science Congress. Students who have been a part of one of the ranking teams at the ISRO Space Quiz or NSS National Space Settlement are also eligible under this category. Students under category B can avail of a 15% waiver on tuition fees.
- Category C incorporates:
- Students who have stood among the top 30 rank-holders at the SOF, STEM, or Robotics Olympiads
- Top 10 rankers at any national or international competitions organized by IT giants like Microsoft and Google
- Top 10 rankers at the international, national, and state-level Robot Olympiad.
- Part of 2 ranking teams at the ISRO Space Quiz or NSS National Space Settlement.
- Category D includes:
- National rankers who have secured a rank among the top 40 at the STEM, SOF or Robotics Olympiads
- Top 20 rankers at any national or international competitions run by IT giants like Microsoft and Google
- Top 20 rankers at the international, national or state-level Olympiads
- Part of 3 ranking teams at the ISRO Space Quiz or National Space Settlement
- Innovation awardees at the national or international levels
- Students who have received national or state-level achievements at the MOE or CBSE science exhibitions or the National Talent Search Examination.
Understanding the Scholarship Process
Parents must follow a step-by-step process while applying for the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship in 2021:
- Fill up the Application Form: Parents must fill up the application form available on the GIIS Kuala Lumpur website. The application form also requires one to upload all the necessary documents, including academic records of the past two years, and published theses and projects.
- Notification: Upon application, successful applicants will be notified by email within ten working days.
- Scholarship Assessment: Next, students must appear for a scholarship assessment, which would evaluate their eligibility for the scholarship. Students currently residing outside of Kuala Lumpur or Malaysia may take the exam online from the comfort of their homes.
- Scholarship One-to-One Interview: The international school may additionally summon students for a one-on-one interview upon its discretion. GIIS makes this decision based on an evaluation of the student’s assessment.
- Scholarship Selection and Disbursal: Finally, the school conducts the scholarship selection and disbursal process for the shortlisted students. Scholarship awardees must register within two weeks and join the school within 90 days of having accepted the scholarship.
What Scholarship Disbursal Criteria Should You Consider?
Some of the essential criteria for being eligible for the APJ Abdul Kalam scholarship are as follows:
- The applicants should be Malaysian residents; PR, dependent, and student pass holders are also eligible for the scholarship.
- They must have published theses, documents, or research papers to their credit.
- They must provide relevant identity and address proof documents.
The Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship prepares students for an incredibly enriching journey in the path of technology and innovation. Is your child a technology aficionado? Then, the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship is here to fuel their dreams!